[ltp] Upgrading from IBM to Lenovo?

Hendrik-Jan Heins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Jan 2011 17:36:11 +0100

I used to have a i240 (from before the x series).
Really good and rugged for such a small machine.

I bought a X61 as my second IBM (This one still says IBM, but I know
there are also Lenovo versions).
To be honest: I'm dissapointed:
The housing is flimsy. I already have cracks in the right and left
lower corners.
I already lost one of the closing hooks over the screen (broke off).
The battery was crap: The stock one already crapped out on me after
barely a year of use.
The extended batteries are a bit better.

The screen is not entirely rigid, and I have seen (and heard) a LOT of
issues with the fan breaking down.

All in all: I am not happy with this.
The problem is that I can not find anything "better". HP and Dell
don't always have a trackpoint, and are usually hugely expensive on
their sub notebooks, but quality wise, they don't seem any better.

The Samsung series with the ULV cpu's in there are the only ones I
have seen that are half decent.

Hendrik-Jan Heins