[ltp] Upgrading from IBM to Lenovo?

Christos Papadopoulos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Jan 2011 06:08:56 -0700

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 11:57:15AM -0500, Robert Tomsick wrote:

> The X61s that I had actually fared much better than the first X40 that I
> owned (despite the fact that the latter was designed and built by IBM),
> which developed a pressure mark on the screen after just a short period
> of use.

I don't have any experience with the Lenovo X-series, but I am typing
this on a thinkpad X40, build date 06/02. It has been flawless over the
years and many trips. Mechanically, the hinge still holds up really
well, there are no cracks or creaks and the screen is still plenty
bright.  With Fedora 14 pretty much everything I care works the way it
should. I installed a Lenovo 60GB SSD, which improved the speed quite a
bit.

My previous laptop was a X31, still used by my wife daily, but that one
has a crack on the body and the hinge has become fairly loose. Other
than that it still works great with the original hard drive.

I am thinking of buying a X201s as the next laptop. If the quality is
anything like the old IBM X-series, I will be ecstatic. If you have
experience with the x-200 Lenovo series let me know what you think.

Christos.