[ltp] Re: Upgrading from IBM to Lenovo?

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Jan 2011 17:23:28 +0100

Christos Papadopoulos schrieb am 09.01.2011 14:08:

> On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 11:57:15AM -0500, Robert Tomsick wrote:
>>
>> The X61s that I had actually fared much better than the first X40 that I
>> owned (despite the fact that the latter was designed and built by IBM),
>> which developed a pressure mark on the screen after just a short period
>> of use.
>
> I don't have any experience with the Lenovo X-series, but I am typing
> this on a thinkpad X40, build date 06/02. It has been flawless over the
> years and many trips. Mechanically, the hinge still holds up really
> well, there are no cracks or creaks and the screen is still plenty
> bright.  With Fedora 14 pretty much everything I care works the way it
> should. I installed a Lenovo 60GB SSD, which improved the speed quite a
> bit.
>
> My previous laptop was a X31, still used by my wife daily, but that one
> has a crack on the body and the hinge has become fairly loose. Other
> than that it still works great with the original hard drive.
>
> I am thinking of buying a X201s as the next laptop. If the quality is
> anything like the old IBM X-series, I will be ecstatic. If you have
> experience with the x-200 Lenovo series let me know what you think.

X200s, 11/2008. Though I'm /very/ careful with my ThinkPad there's a
small break on the right[1] I don't where it comes from. The lid
edges where battered[2] after two weeks. There are clear gaps
between the display and its frame. The display is slightly curved at
the bottom. It's not that bad---but it's an 1700 Euro device ...

Best
Christoph

[1] http://zvisionwelt.de/tmpdownloads/IMAG0267.jpg
[2] http://zvisionwelt.de/tmpdownloads/IMAG0273.jpg