[ltp] Upgrading from IBM to Lenovo?

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:35:47 -0500

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 06:08 -0700, Christos Papadopoulos wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 11:57:15AM -0500, Robert Tomsick wrote:
> >
> > The X61s that I had actually fared much better than the first X40 that I
> > owned (despite the fact that the latter was designed and built by IBM),
> > which developed a pressure mark on the screen after just a short period
> > of use.
>
> I don't have any experience with the Lenovo X-series, but I am typing
> this on a thinkpad X40, build date 06/02. It has been flawless over the
> years and many trips. Mechanically, the hinge still holds up really
> well, there are no cracks or creaks and the screen is still plenty
> bright.  With Fedora 14 pretty much everything I care works the way it
> should. I installed a Lenovo 60GB SSD, which improved the speed quite a
> bit.
[...]
> I am thinking of buying a X201s as the next laptop. If the quality is
> anything like the old IBM X-series, I will be ecstatic. If you have
> experience with the x-200 Lenovo series let me know what you think.

I've owned three X40s, an X200s, and an X200.  While the X200s didn't
feel very sturdy due to its light weight (although it held up just fine
in practice), the X200 is every bit as good as the X40s that I've used.
It has the added advantage of not being as susceptible to the pressure
marks that X40s tend to get due to their weak lid design (2/3 of the
X40s that I've had have gotten them.)

You can pick up a X200 for a good price at the outlet, and given that
the X201 offers slightly worse run time I'd go with the X200 unless you
absolutely need all the CPU power you can muster.

Cheers,
Rob