[ltp] Upgrading from IBM to Lenovo?

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Jan 2011 23:22:33 +0100

Per Dalgas Jakobsen <pdj@knaldgas.dk> writes:

> I bought a x301 2776-LEG with SSD two years ago, never had any regrets
> with it, (besides the mandatory Windows license. Fortunately we are
> not forced to use it, we just have to pay for it...)
>
> It's not a workstation class, but for my usage profile, it is close to
> perfect!
> The screen is bright enough to be able to work with it outside.
> I find it as robust as any previous IBM Thinkpad I have used (T43 and T60=
).
> Battery-time has dropped from 4½ to 3½ hours over the two years=
, but
> thats how it is with batteries.
>
> Recommendable!

+1

Exactly same model.  Two years of intensive work and leisure use (it's
the only workstation class machine I use both at home and at work).  The
inevitable number of drops and coffee spills.  No service necessary so
far.  Everything still works.

I actually believe the lower weight compared to e.g. the old T42 makes
it more robust, at least when facing daily usage abuse like holding it
in one hand with the lid open.  The T42 I had before went through three
motherboards...

Original battery:

Handle 0x0034, DMI type 22, 26 bytes
Portable Battery
        Location: Rear
        Manufacturer: SANYO
        Name: 42T4643
        Design Capacity: 43200 mWh
        Design Voltage: 10800 mV
        SBDS Version: 03.01
        Maximum Error: Unknown
        SBDS Serial Number: 01CC
        SBDS Manufacture Date: 2008-12-18
        SBDS Chemistry: LION
        OEM-specific Information: 0x00000000

Still at 90% of design capacity:

bjorn@nemi:~$ grep '' /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full*
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full:39320000
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design:43200000

That's impressive after two years IMHO.  And I haven't been
particularily nice to it either.

Recently upgraded the X301 to 8GB RAM.  Works perfectly although Lenovo
spec says 4GB max.  I assume that's only because there were no 4GB
modules when it was new.

Bjørn