[ltp] Re: kernel config file for Thinkpad T61

Thomas Hartwig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Jan 2011 23:36:25 +0100

On 01/09/2011 03:43 PM, ~D wrote:
> On 01/09/2011 03:40 PM, Dmitriy Ugnichenko wrote:
>> You know, I'm not sure, that it's a perfect idea, assuming you're
>> using Debian|Ubuntu. In most cases the default kernel already includes
>> all you might need, using modules for it. In some cases, of course, if
>> your hardware is not supported you may configure by hands. As to me, I
>> make such configs only using Gentoo and for fun ;)
> Apart from the option to build a RT kernel, the question is whether is
> improves things like startup time and system load when you have a very
> dedicated and small kernel config file.

I believe you will not achieve very much improvements. All the hassle
maintaining the kernel it is not worth it. There have been days some
years ago where you needed an own kernel but this is obsolete with
current distros. Startup time of Ubuntu is fast as hell, faster than
Windows Vista/7.

JM2C
Thomas