[ltp] SSD optimisation

Damon Lynch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:53:57 -0600

--e0cb4e6ff3cdf599a104999d4f1a

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Dan M. <likuidkewl@gmail.com> wrote:

> If your distro supports trim and your ssd has poor garbage collection
> I would suggest the discard option in your /etc/fstab in order to use
> the kernel trim feature. Possibly change your scheduler to noop but
> other than that nothing much is needed. If you want to stick with the
> atime.

Is it worth worrying about all the writes & deletes made to an Intel G2 SSD
during the days before kernel 2.6.36?

My (very limited) understanding is that TRIM started to be used by the
kernel in 2.6.36 (courtesy of the discard feature), and that 2.6.38 will
better optimize the use of TRIM.

For the past month or more, I have been using a stock 2.6.36 kernel from the
kernel developer's Ubuntu PPA. Prior to this, I was using whatever came with
the distro. This kernel has not given me any problems, apart from the time
remaining on the battery not being displayed.

Damon

--
http://www.damonlynch.net

--e0cb4e6ff3cdf599a104999d4f1a

r=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:likuidkewl@gmail.com">likuidkewl@gmail.com<=
/a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:=
0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
If your distro supports trim and your ssd has poor garbage collection<br>
I would suggest the discard option in your /etc/fstab in order to use<br>
the kernel trim feature. Possibly change your scheduler to noop but<br>
other than that nothing much is needed. If you want to stick with the<br>
atime.<br>
it worth worrying about all the writes &amp; deletes made to an Intel G2 SS=
D during the days before kernel 2.6.36? <br><br>My (very limited) understan=
ding is that TRIM started to be used by the kernel in 2.6.36 (courtesy of t=
he discard feature), and that 2.6.38 will better optimize the use of TRIM. =
m the kernel developer&#39;s Ubuntu PPA. Prior to this, I was using whateve=
r came with the distro. This kernel has not given me any problems, apart fr=
om the time remaining on the battery not being displayed. <br>
ttp://www.damonlynch.net</a><br>

--e0cb4e6ff3cdf599a104999d4f1a--