[ltp] SSD optimisation

Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:56:32 +0200

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:03:28PM +0100, Leon Brokken wrote:
> am awaiting the arrival of a T410s with 160GB Intel SSD. Is it
> worthwhile to take measures that prevent excessive writes (e.g.
> mount with noatime), or is this not relevant any longer in the later
> SSD devices?

Reducing the number of writes can't hurt, I suppose.  Nowadays all the
partitions are mounted with relatime, and maybe that's enough?

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is a
recommendation to align your partitions at 128K boundaries:
http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/20/aligning-filesystems-to-an-ssds-eras=
e-block-size/

I believe modern fdisks (and installers) do that already.

I've also seen an email by Linux Torvalds recommending that people never
put swap partitions on an SSD
http://www.realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=3Ddetail&id=3D98325&th=
readid=3D98319&roomid=3D2
Although that seems to be more of a "that's a stupid waste of money, buy
more RAM -- it's cheaper" than "it'll damage your SSD with excessive
writes".

Marius Gedminas
--=20
I spent a lot of time in the Java world. I'm so glad I'm on Planet Python
now :-)
        -- Steve Alexander

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR--