[ltp] Official test whether overheating is a warrany case?

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:37:56 -0500

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 15:05 +0530, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since a while, my T400 notebook tends to shut down automatically due to
> hot CPU at some workloads that used to work without issues previously –
> and that although only one of the two cores is used in that workload.
> I’m now wondering if this is a warranty case, but I guess they will not
> be convinced by „I’m running Linux, but that is not the cause, so please
> fix it.“

Have you tried opening up the laptop and checking that the fans are
clear?  It's pretty rare (in my experience) for T400s to have cooling
issues unless their cooling systems are blocked or non-functional.

If you're looking for a tool to stress (and thus heat) your CPU, cpuburn
is it.  Of course if you already know you have a bum cooling system
(which you sound like you do), I'd be wary of running it.

Oh, and if you do need warranty work, your OS has absolutely no bearing
on your eligibility.

Cheers,
Rob