[ltp] Re: Official test whether overheating is a warrany case?

Joachim Breitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:47:28 +0530

--=-fEP2jMS8MdxfSiJkl9Qj

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 13.01.2011, 12:33 +0100 schrieb Thomas Hartwig:
> Can't you simulate this in Windows?

maybe, if I had Windows :-)

> Are you sure the fan is running at high speed when the temperature is
> high? Is your workload your typing work or heavy computations?

Somewhat heavy computation =E2=80=93 compiling a large book with LaTeX,
including lots of pictures, so one core is at its peek plus there is
quite some disk usage going on.

The fan is turning high to 3000 to 3080 RPM, while temperature slowly
rises from 60=C2=B0C to above 90=C2=B0C. Usually, the temperature goes up t=
o about
92=C2=B0 to 95=C2=B0C and stays there =E2=80=93 only on rare occasions it s=
eems that the
limit (100=C2=B0C?) is hit and the system shuts down.

> It is quite uncommon to have the system turned off, there must be
> something related to the fan or its connection to the CPU. Or probably
> simply the CPU is bad. I am sure it is a warranty issue.

Ok, maybe I should just open a support ticket. Then I=E2=80=99ll see how
world-wide the 4 year on-site warranty that I bought back then is =E2=80=93=
 I=E2=80=99m
in India at the moment :-)

Thanks,
Joachim