[ltp] Re: Official test whether overheating is a warrany case?

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:28:35 -0500

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 20:47 +0530, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > It is quite uncommon to have the system turned off, there must be
> > something related to the fan or its connection to the CPU. Or probably
> > simply the CPU is bad. I am sure it is a warranty issue.
>
> Ok, maybe I should just open a support ticket. Then I’ll see how
> world-wide the 4 year on-site warranty that I bought back then is – I’m
> in India at the moment :-)

IMHO, it's pretty unlikely for the CPU to be bad.  More likely, the
exhaust is blocked with dust or the connection between the CPU and
heatsink is poor.  You can check and fix the first one on your own quite
easily (a screwdriver and a can of compressed air are all you need), and
you although warranty might be easier you can fix the second very easily
as well.

My bet is that Lenovo's depot service will want to replace the planar
and heatsink/fan assembly, even though that's probably not really
necessary.

Cheers,
Rob