[ltp] Re: Official test whether overheating is a warrany case?

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:57:17 -0500

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 21:01 +0530, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 13.01.2011, 10:28 -0500 schrieb Robert Tomsick:
> > My bet is that Lenovo's depot service will want to replace the planar
> > and heatsink/fan assembly, even though that's probably not really
> > necessary.
>
> being lazy (and having payed for the warranty) that sounds good enough.
> But if I call them and tell them that it occational shuts down, will
> they not want proof of some kind? Or do they tend to belief their
> clients? :-)

They tend to believe their clients.  Especially when their clients say:
"Hi, my fans spool up to #### RPM, but my CPU's core temps are 90-100 C,
and the machine goes into thermal shutdown, etc." ;)

Now if their clients complain that they deleted the Internet from their
hard drives, yeah... they're a little more skeptical.

As an aside, people tend to have a low opinion of Lenovo's Depot
service, as EasyServ is somewhat notorious for creating or worsening
problems -- but that's just an issue for US users.  I have no idea how
good their German support is.

> I guess I could see if I can reproduce it reliable, using CPU burn or
> something like that.

It might be useful to be able to say something like "under full load,
the CPU reaches ## C and shuts off after ## minutes", although
personally I might be afraid of damaging the chip(s) if I knew the
cooling system was wonky.

Cheers,
Rob