[ltp] Re: Official test whether overheating is a warrany case?

Joachim Breitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:38:34 +0530

--=-zIeEgTcGYQju6CK7uYP/

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 13.01.2011, 10:57 -0500 schrieb Robert Tomsick:
> It might be useful to be able to say something like "under full load,
> the CPU reaches ## C and shuts off after ## minutes", although
> personally I might be afraid of damaging the chip(s) if I knew the
> cooling system was wonky.

well, I just tested it: Running two cpuburn instances in parallel, the
temperature reaches 100=C2=B0C pretty fast. The system runs at ~102=C2=B0C =
for
maybe 10 or 20 seconds, before it shuts down. Just when it reaches 100=C2=
=B0
C, the fan speeds up to ~3600RPM, but it seems it cannot push down the
temperature fast enough again.

Is this fan speed behaviour normal or might there be something
misconfigured? As far as I know I left everything to BIOS controlled
(and the ibm_acpi module agrees:=20
cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
status:		enabled
speed:		2959
level:		auto
) so is there any other kind of setting that could affect it?

(I=E2=80=99m only using the internal graphics card, fixed in the BIOS, if t=
hat
makes a difference.)

Thanks,
Joachim