[ltp] Re: Official test whether overheating is a warrany case?

Laurent linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:12:03 +0100

Hi,

> I have no idea how good their German support is.

The hotline is bad, the service center is OK. And he is in India.

>> The fan is turning high to 3000 to 3080 RPM, while temperature slowly=

>> rises from 60=C2=B0C to above 90=C2=B0C. Usually, the temperature goe=
s up to about
>> 92=C2=B0 to 95=C2=B0C and stays there =E2=80=93 only on rare occasion=
s it seems that the
>> limit (100=C2=B0C?) is hit and the system shuts down.

The CPU starts to throttle at around 90=C2=B0C. Raising above 95=C2=B0C =
is really,
really bad. You should notice a rather big slowdown at around 90=C2=B0C.=

Do you have the version with ATI-GPU? Are you sure you are not running b=
oth
GPUs at the same time? (cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermals. If the 4. number in=

the line is -1 =3D> ATI is disabled by BIOS =3D> all is well).

Running X with Intel drivers and having the ATI turned on in the BIOS he=
ats
up the laptop a lot. The ATI will run full tilt since no driver is carin=
about the power saving settings. This will also cause a higher idle
temperature for the CPU and nearly all other sensors.

cu,