[ltp] 10.10 Running Perfectly Well

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:17:23 +0100

Hi!

Simon Royal wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> Success! I am now running Ubuntu 10.10 and it is fine with no power
> issues. It will boot off battery fine and I can also remove the power
> adapter while it is running. Brilliant.

Congratulations!

>=20
> [[...]] Glad I set up a separate partition to save all my files on, it
> has made this trial and error a lot easier.

Having a separate /home partition (as well as separate ones for my work)
and multiple system partitions (multi-boot setup) has saved me so often,
I would never do without it.
My approach is that all system partitions mount the same /home, and can
even mount each other in /mnt for comparison or file transfer.

Grub is such a good base for multi-boot, and disks have become so large,
that I don't see any reason against a multi-boot machine.
Then, you can do system backups, trial installations, upgrades, or other
operations, and you will still have a working system (the old one) even
if some new version doesn't work the way you want it to.

Regards,
J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de