[ltp] Re: Official test whether overheating is a warrany case?

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:58:06 +0200

I used to have a sony vaio with such problems due to heat sink problems. It
ended up burning the CPU. On that occasion by the way, linux would shut down but
windows didn't. I believe that windows throttled the machine much harder under
load as the windows installation process triggered a shutdown as well (I had to
put the machine on cooler blocks with a fan to finish the installation to check
windows so that I can send the machine in for repair). On the other hand, I
don't think that I loaded windows as much, so it could be a load factor issue.

Don't know how Lenovo would be about it, but after the service I didn't get from
Sony, I'm not buying anything of theirs again (I would have gotten better
customer support if they didn't have any customer support at all).