[ltp] Re: Official test whether overheating is a warrany case?

Damien Challet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:43:30 +0100

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 20:47 +0530, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 13.01.2011, 12:33 +0100 schrieb Thomas Hartwig:
> > Can't you simulate this in Windows?
>
> maybe, if I had Windows :-)
>
> > Are you sure the fan is running at high speed when the temperature is
> > high? Is your workload your typing work or heavy computations?
>
> Somewhat heavy computation – compiling a large book with LaTeX,
> including lots of pictures, so one core is at its peek plus there is
> quite some disk usage going on.
>
> The fan is turning high to 3000 to 3080 RPM, while temperature slowly
> rises from 60°C to above 90°C. Usually, the temperature goes up to about
> 92° to 95°C and stays there – only on rare occasions it seems that the
> limit (100°C?) is hit and the system shuts down.

when I replaced the cpu fan of a laptop and failed to screw it tightly
enough, I witnessed the same behaviour. Unscrew the fan mount, clean the
chips, add the right amount of arctic silver, screw back and it should
be all right.