[ltp] R31 Sleep...Can We Resolve This

bhaskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 23:27:19 -0500

Simon Royal wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have just about sorted all the problems out on my ThinkPad R31 under
> Ubuntu, except sleep.
>
> When I close the lid I want it to sleep and then wake when I open it.
> I have been playing with the different settings and cannot it to work
> as I would like, so I thought I would throw it over to you guys to see
> if you could help.
>
> Ive always worked on laptops and never come across this problem. Mac
> OSX is the fastest for coming back from sleep, you open the lid and
> within two or three seconds it is up and running - even on my old 10
> year old G3 PowerBook it does it. Windows XP takes a bit longer and
> then you get faced with a log back in screen.
>
> I find it odd that my 10 year old G3 500Mhz Mac can come back from
> sleep within seconds but my sons 2.2Ghz P4 laptop takes about 20
> seconds to get back.
>
> Ive run Ubuntu and various other buntu and non-bunto based distros on
> other hardware - x86 and PPC - and never had sleep problems like this.
>
> I had a ThinkPad 600 and 240x about a year ago and they just worked
> with sleep. Open the lid and it comes back on, sometimes faced with a
> log back in screen but it worked.
>
> So why can I not get this R31 to behave in a similar way? Why would a
> 600 and 240x have better power down support than this R31?
>
> If I press Fn+F4 it will go to sleep, but then coming back on takes a
> boot (bios splash, grub etc) and then you get the log back in screen.

I have good hibernation (Fn+F4) on 2.6.31.21 generic ( ubuntu 9.10 ).
I have not been able to find any!!! distro with a later kernel, Ubuntu,
Fedora, Debian, Mint,
Centos, and some others that I've forgotten that will hibernate.

I have wasted a ton of time on this and ended up going back to 9.10 on
two different Thinkpads.

This may be  just a problem with older Thinkpads, but I won't buy a new
laptop just to
get hibernation.

I really, really wish that I knew what the problem is.
Hint! it's not just the wireless card  like Ubuntu claims.