[ltp] Broken USB Port R31

Simon Royal linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:31:34 +0000

Jason

You mean the clear (or white) gunk you seal a bath with with one of
the guns things?

Simon

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Jason Brooks <jaybrooks76@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
> I would use a simple silicone glue like what you would use with bath
> tubs. It is able to take heat and it is going to stay pliable. It
> should not shrink ether so it should be perfect for keeping it all in
> one place.
>
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Simon Royal <mrsimonroyal@gmail.com> wro=
te:
>> Jason
>>
>> The plastic inner from the USB port has also gone. How do I secure
>> this. At present I have put some tape over the port so nothing goes in
>> it, but I am assuming I need to put some glue in it or something to
>> keep the metal pins from moving.
>>
>> BTW, I dont intend on repairing this port, just securing it so it
>> doesnt fry my board.
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Jay Brooks <jaybrooks76@gmail.com> wro=
te:
>>> You need to be careful with that. There is a known issue with the chips=
et
>>> that can kill the motherboard on some thinkpads with a small short to t=
he
>>> usb. Related to esd protection not being in place (which would explain =
the
>>> shutdown... chipset freaked out) you should secure the port with silico=
n or