[ltp] PCMCIA wireless

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:49:09 -0600

Quoting Simon Royal <mrsimonroyal@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> Ive had a number of power problems under Ubuntu and finally worked out it was to do with my Edimax PCMCIA wireless card.
>
> It works fine but causes oddities when running off battery. I know it sounds odd but I have tried everything else to resolve it locking up under battery and without it in it works fine. So I switched to a USB wireless stick.
>
> Now, I broke one of my USB ports yesterday and would like to free up the other one by getting rid of the USB wireless stick I have.
>
> What I would like to know is, is my lock up problems going to happen with any PCMCIA wireless card or just my Edimax which is RaLink based.
>
> My USB stick is a PlusCom which in Windows shows up as a ZyDas. It is 1121B based, which is not RaLink.
>
> I have a Broadcom based Buffalo card floating around which I know works under Linux with additional drivers available.
>
> I need to work out whether it is the PCMCIA bus causing problems or just the card.
>
> Any help, advice or previous experience appreciated.
>
> Simon

I use a Ralink RT2860 based PCMCIA card in a T41 and it behaves fine.  Not as
strong reception as the built-in Intel Pro Wireless 2100 (ipw2100) that uses
the antenna built into the laptop lid.  It handles crowded environments better
than the ipw2100.  No lockups that I can attribute to it.  Indeed, with
OpenSuSE 11.2 lockups are 1-2/year.

HTH,
  Jeffrey