[ltp] Re: Re: WARNING: Lenovo ThinkPads and 65W power supplies

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 17:47:53 +0200

On 23/01/11 15:51, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Micha wrote:
>> On 22/01/11 00:57, Dave Cunningham wrote:
>>> It may be that the higher wattage power supply has a different plug so you
>>> cannot use any other wattage.  This is certainly the case with my w700ds.
>>
>> These shouldn't be a problem connecting a higher wattage power
>> supply, so it doesn't need a different plug. There is a problem with
>> a different voltage. As long as the voltage is ok, the machine will
>> draw only as much as it needs.
>
> And crash or corrupt memory/disk or damage flash if it needs to draw more
> than what is available, which is the reason for the firmware safeguards in
> the first place.
>
> It is never a good idea to use underrated power supplies.

I was talking about over-rated, not under-rated. Under-rated supplies will
either cause crashes or underclocking (for some reason I forgot the correct
technical term here). However, if you run them with a battery connected and
don't over draw for extended periods you should be ok as well, as the battery
serves as fallback.

It's one of the reason why it's not recommended to run some machines without a
battery.