[ltp] Docking stations for T510

Pedro Ribeiro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:45:43 +0000

On 30 January 2011 03:51, Jeffrey L. Taylor <jeff@abluz.dyndns.org> wrote:
> I'm just about ready to buy a T510 to replace my T41. =A0I'm clear about
> everything except docking stations. =A0My laptop spends about half its ti=
me on
> my desk at home. =A0The peripherals are a USB harddrive for backups and a=
 USB
> mouse. =A0I'll probably drag an LCD monitor out for a second display.
>
> One possible plus is that the static discharge that took out my USB contr=
oller
> is less likely with a grounded docking station. =A0But then T510 may not =
be as
> vulnerable at the T41 series.
>
> What other pluses and minuses are there?
>
> TIA,
> =A0Jeffrey
> --

The only minus I see is the price.
The T410/510 use a new type of docking station, which is incompatible
with the previous models.

What this means is that you cannot buy a second hand docking station
from ebay, but instead pay the full price, which IHMO is ridiculous.

But if you have the cash burning a whole in your pocket, go for it! I
think I'll wait a few years before getting a docking station for my
T410.

Regards,
Pedro