[ltp] Re: T420s HD life and Load Cycle counter

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 03 Jul 2011 00:36:49 -0400

> I just had a look at SMART results for my two months old T420s running
> the tlp daemon and I noticed that the number of Load Cycles for the HD
> has already reached 117000, with a "power on" of 887 hours.

Laoptop (and low power desktop drives) are designed to do such "load
cycle" *very* often.  This number is unrelated to the number of
spin-up/spin-down; and other than FUD, there's no evidence that high
numbers are a sign of problems to come.  Many manufacturers have simply
removed this Load_cycle_count from the smart output since its effect
seemed to be limited to instilling fear in some of their customers.

        Stefan