[ltp] T42 and Squeeze

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Jul 2011 20:24:09 +0200

Am Freitag, 1. Juli 2011 schrieb David Griffith:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 30. Juni 2011 schrieb David Griffith:
> >> I switched my Thinkpad T42 from Ubuntu 10.10 to Debian Squeeze and
> >> now I get a black-screened delay of around a minute when recovering
> >> from a suspend or hibernation.  Am I forgetting something?  Ubuntu
> >> didn't delay like this, nor did Debian Sarge or Etch when I used
> >> those.
> >=20
> > No problems with Squeeze, well Wheezy now with 2.6.37, 2.6.38.
> >=20
> > But well if you try a newer kernel, better avoid 2.6.34 to 2.6.36.1
> > if I remember correctly. They had a nasty bug with Radeon KMS that
> > freezes the system completely at unexpected times. I made a kernel
> > bug report and someone else a freedesktop one about this.
> >=20
> > But then I think I didn't have problems with 2.6.32, but I do think
> > that I had KMS disabled with that one.
> >=20
> > You can try disabling KMS under /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf to
> > see whether that is really the issue.
>=20
> That fixed the problem.  Thanks!  I'll continue with building a 2.6.39
> kernel to see if KMS got fixed and report back here and to the kernel
> mailing list.

Is working fine here with 2.3.37 and 38. Didn=B4t upgrade to 2.6.39 or 3.0=
=20
yet on my T42. But one caveat: I do use newer than Squeeze userspace, i.e.=
=20
X.org, mesa and libdrm. I think it should work with Squeeze userspace, but=
=20
I never tested it.

Since switch to Gallium mesa driver appears to be a bit slower, but I=20
think you will have non gallium mesa driver in Squeeze. Well I am not sure=
=20
about this.

=2D-=20