[ltp] Re: T410s and projector

Leon Brokken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 17:30:13 +0200

On 07/26/2011 04:58 PM, Claudius Hubig wrote:
> Leon Brokken<leon.brokken@med.lu.se>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when I connect a projector/beamer to my T410s (via VGA) I can at best
>> get a 'vibrating' screen. Difficult to explain - it's readable but
>> annoying to the eye. I have so far only tested this with one projector.
>> The same vibes occur during boot, before the X server has started.
> […]
>
> Hello, I have the very same machine, albeit still using 2.6.38
> (AppArmor patches haven’t been ported to 3.0 and 2.6.39 behaved
> strangely after suspends (freezing/reacting slowly for about a
> minute)) and Debian Testing/Sid. I have no problems whatsoever using
> the VGA port with external monitors, but those typically have higher
> resolutions. Maybe you want to send the output of xrandr when a
> projector is connected and create/set the appropriate modes? Best
> regards, Claudius

Output from xrandr:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS1 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
303mm x 190mm
    1440x900       60.0*+   50.0
    1024x768       60.0
    800x600        60.3     56.2
    640x480        59.9
VGA1 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    1024x768       60.0
    800x600        60.3     56.2
    848x480        60.0
    640x480        59.9

I configured randr through the KDE interface. What would be the correct
syntax using xrandr to set the appropriate modes?

I tried these (without any change):
xrandr --output VGA1 --auto
xrandr --output VGA1 --same-as LVDS1

  Cheers, Leon.