[ltp] x201s experience?

Nathaniel Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:31:35 -0700

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> wrote:
> On ven., 2011-07-29 at 10:33 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, do you use the ultrabase? I noticed that all my
>> crashes were when I was using it, so I'm wondering if it's related or
>> not.

I don't have an ultrabase. My experience with previous thinkpads was
that linux and the ultrabase didn't play well together, but I never
spent much time on it...

> I just add a freeze without ultrabase so it's unrelated. This time I was
> able to move the mouse for some time (but not focus anything) before
> complete freeze, so it really looks like hard graphic card lockup. I'm
> currently running a memtest86 just in case but will try to investigate
> graphics issues later.

Ah, yep, I've definitely seen those symptoms -- especially when coming
out of suspend, but randomly at other times too. (This is with the
stock drivers in ubuntu 11.04 natty.)

I've also had X crash "cleanly" a few times (i.e., I'm working away
and suddenly my desktop disappears, and after a few seconds the gdm
login screen appears again, while the rest of userspace survives).

Probably worth noting that I'm running metacity, no compositing or anything.

I feel confident that the intel X drivers will get better over time
(my X60 was somewhat unstable when I first got it too, esp. around
suspend/resume), so if that's the only problem then I'm not *too*
worried. But it would be really good to know whether that's the actual
source of the problems; I haven't managed to get any stack traces or
anything.

-- Nathaniel