[ltp] Fedora on T400: 32-bit or 64-bit?

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:58:43 -0500

Hey all,

I'm a software developer by trade, and have been using Fedora as my
laptop's OS for the past few years. For Fedora 14, I took the leap and
installed 64-bit, and it's been a minor, but everyday, headache: Power
consumption is high, leading to short battery life; powertop keeps
suggesting to put the audio in power save over and over; suspend
sometimes hangs, and sometimes fails to resume. I did not have those
problems with Fedora 13 32-bit.

So my question is this: Should I go back to 32-bit PAE kernels, or
knuckle down and keep 64-bit and try to improve it for me and everyone else?

Hmm. I think I just answered my question.

So next week, I'll be sharing my experiences with Fedora 15 64-bit on my
T400, and asking you fine folks for tips on how to resolve my issues.

Stay tuned,
Chris