[ltp] Trying to dual boot Linux & Windows 7 on an X200s

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 05 Jun 2011 19:21:06 -0500

On 06/05/2011 05:41 PM, John Magolske wrote:
> I just picked up a brand new X200s and would like to set it up to dual
> boot Linux and the Windows 7 (32-bit) OS that came with it. Following
> a post on the Ubuntu forums [1], I set out to try the approach below,
> but I'm getting stuck at the point of trying to install Windows 7 into
> a specifically created NTFS partition -- the Windows recovery discs
> just reformat the entire drive and restore it to the state it was in
> when the backup was taken.

You can't control what the Lenovo Windows recovery installer does, just
let it have its way with the hard drive, then afterwards boot your Linux
installer CD and shrink the large NTFS partition and partition the
resulting free space for your Linux install. Install Linux and as part
of that install GRUB. GRUB should notice the Win7 install and make it
one of your boot options.

wes