[ltp] Ubuntu on an X220

Yves Dorfsman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:27:19 -0600

On 11-05-21 12:29 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> I've just got a shiny new X220 and have installed Ubuntu 10.10 on it.
> I've been documenting my experience here:
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X220

Just got an x220 too, with an i5.

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 amd64 on it, and use "gnome classic" (gnome 2, vs.
ubuntu unity).

I have not had any time to test with a large screen yet.

I was careful to order one with Intel graphic card, wireless etc... to
minimize the issues with Linux.

I absolutely love the keyboard, it is amazing.

My frustrations:
-the touchpad extend to the edge, rounding around the machine, so that if you
move your hand more in the middle of the keyboard (if you use the pointer and
need to click a lot), then the only way to avoid the touchpad is to hover over
it. You can no longer rest your hand on the machine itself, like I was able to
on my T60.

-In gnome 2, I could not find an easy way to disable the touchpad (I've seen
the article on thinkwiki, but I was hoping for a quick click under preferences)

TLDR: I hate the touchpad and can't easily disable it.

--
Yves.                                                  http://www.SollerS.ca/
                                                        http://ipv6.SollerS.ca