[ltp] Ubuntu on an X220

Rhesa Rozendaal linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:15:15 +0200

On 06/15/2011 06:27 PM, Yves Dorfsman wrote:
> On 11-05-21 12:29 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
>> I've just got a shiny new X220 and have installed Ubuntu 10.10 on it.
>> I've been documenting my experience here:
>> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X220
>>

> Just got an x220 too, with an i5.
>
> I installed Ubuntu 11.04 amd64 on it, and use "gnome classic" (gnome 2,
> vs. ubuntu unity).

I just received my W520 about a week ago. It's stunning. I also
installed Ubuntu 11.04, and use gnome classic as well (all the effects
distract after a while).

> My frustrations:
> -the touchpad extend to the edge, rounding around the machine, so that
> if you move your hand more in the middle of the keyboard (if you use the
> pointer and need to click a lot), then the only way to avoid the
> touchpad is to hover over it. You can no longer rest your hand on the
> machine itself, like I was able to on my T60.

On my machine, Fn + F8 disables it, and it persists across reboots.

> -In gnome 2, I could not find an easy way to disable the touchpad (I've
> seen the article on thinkwiki, but I was hoping for a quick click under
> preferences)

You can also install gpointing-device-settings and configure both the
touchpad and the trackpoint with that (e.g. scrolling with the trackpoint).

> TLDR: I hate the touchpad and can't easily disable it.

Me too, but it was easy to disable in my case.

Rhesa