[ltp] Thinkpad T61, Ubuntu, cpu scaling

Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:00:52 +0200

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 17:04:41 +0200, Schoap D wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Afaik my system is capable of handling 2GHz, but when I set cpu scaling on
> performance it displays only 1.20GHz. What is going wrong here?

You have a dual core CPU.

[...]

> analyzing CPU 0:

[...]

>   current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 1.20 GHz.
>                   The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
>                   within this range.

The governor for the first core is set to "performance"...

[...]

> analyzing CPU 1:

[...]

>   current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 1.20 GHz.
>                   The governor "userspace" may decide which speed to use
>                   within this range.

...but the governor for the second core is still set to "userspace".
You may try this:

cpufreq-set -r -g performance

The -r switch sets the governor on all cores. You may also do it for
each core, if your cpufreq-set does not support -r:

cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance
cpufreq-set -c 1 -g performance

Regards,
Tino