[ltp] New ThinkPad

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:11:29 +0200

Writing only in general terms, far from giving specific recomendations:

The problem with byuing any new machine is that one becomes the Linux
beta tester, if not even alpha tester, for the rather newish hardware.
If i'd be you, i'd rather check the maturity of the Linux support for
any possible machine via www.thinkwiki.org and decide where to spend the
money on the basis of the thus acquired knowledge.

Due to these considerations i once decided to stick with the T61 (also
even T60) generation Thinkpads using Penryn CPU's, mostly relying on
Intel graphics due to the infamous nVIDIA bug. Depending on one's own
work requirements, this might already be enough oomph for the EURO.

And if one doesn't mind the shift to 16:10 or even 16:9 display ratio,
even something like the T400/T500 or T410/T510 would already be a good
choice.

If you absolutely need only the latest Thinkpad generation, it will be
hard to benefit from the already gained and documented experience of
already exisiting users.

Good luck!
P. *8^)