[ltp] X201s vs X201 vs X220

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:36:12 +0200

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> writes:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> I must admit than I'm a bit puzzled by the requirement.  It's strange
>> enough to have access to an analog phone line, but it's even stranger to
>
> Uh?  All POTS lines are analog, although the phone exchange side most
> certainly won't be in any reasonably modern part of the world.
>
>> have such access in multiple sites (implied by the requirement for a
>> builtin modem).
>
> IME, you can find a POTS FXS port just about everywhere.

I wouldn't bet on that lasting forever.  Around here, you'll probably
have to knock on quite a few doors before you find one. And the numbers
are dropping fast.

> It is a damn useful fallback when travelling around.

I used to think so as well, but that is a decade ago.  Don't remember
the last time I was in a hotel or conference room where there wasn't
either a wireless network or ethernet port, and usually both, providing
some sort of Internet access.

Now I'm not going to argue against buying and bringing an external
modem, but I do believe it makes sense to drop the builtin modem from
laptops.  I would much rather have e.g. an additional USB port than
wasting space for an RJ11.

Bjørn