[ltp] X201s vs X201 vs X220

Uwe Brauer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 21:14:12 +0200

>> Regarding Re: [ltp] X201s vs X201 vs X220; Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> adds:

   > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Bjørn Mork wrote:
   >> I must admit than I'm a bit puzzled by the requirement.  It's strange
   >> enough to have access to an analog phone line, but it's even stranger to

Let me try to explain the situation with some examples:

    -  I travel to site A, there is a wireless connection to
       which I can connect either paying or the  owner gave me
       the password.

    -  I travel to site B, no wireless around (! Yes this
       true) only a good old phone line. I can buy an
       external USB modem from a phone company together with
       some prepaid card and make call-by-call. Sort of
       expensive (either modem around 30 Euros, costs 4
       Euros a day, or modem around 60 Euros, costs 1 Euro a
       day or a contract for 18 month which is useless since
       I stay for some weeks a month at most.

    -  I travel to site C, again no wireless around, and I
       can't use modem of site B, since it is in a different
       country.

    -  I travel to site D, again no wireless around but now
       the site is so remote that the USB modem is as slow
       as the good old build in modem.

So in 3 of 4 situations I am better off with an old analog built in
modem, and _no_ analog modems  are _no_ longer offered for the USB
port. So quiting them for me is a huge problem.

   >> have such access in multiple sites (implied by the requirement for a
   >> builtin modem).

   > IME, you can find a POTS FXS port just about everywhere.  It is a damn
   > useful fallback when travelling around.

   >> Anyway, how about buying something like
   >> http://www.multitech.com/en_US/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiMobileUSB/
   >> or any other USB modem supporting cdc-acm (and therefore usable in Linux
   >> with the cdc-acm class driver)?

As I said this does not help in the places to which I
travel.

Uwe Brauer