[ltp] New ThinkPad

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:30:27 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2011 schrieb James Knott:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Except for the quite rare, but still annoying lockups, that might be
> > fixed in 3.0.0-rc3 almost everything I tested just works on my
> > ThinkPad T520 out of the box.
>=20
> I just checked the price of a T520.  Ouch!!!

Yes, its pricey. And even then the Intel graphics version doesn=B4t even=20
have an eSATA port. In 2011? Whats up? Also USB 3 is not included. For=20
eSATA you need the even more expensive T520 with NVidia Optimus - what the=
=20
heck does a NVidia gfx chip have to do with the eSATA port? And for USB 3=20
the even more expensive W520 also with NVidia Optimus. Thus I can=B4t say=20
that I am satisfied with the model politics of Lenovo. The eSATA/USB combo=
=20
port is there, except that its just a USB port in my model while I do=20
think that it could have *easily* been an eSATA/USB combo port.

Well I do think that when you put an SSD into a T61 or so you will have a=20
really decent and fast ThinkPad as well. Sure, Intel graphics will be=20
slower on older models, but then the Intel drivers engineers are tuning=20
with Intel SNA which should help older models as well. And AFAIR there are=
=20
models with ATI graphics as well which should just do fine. And you=B4d hav=
e=20
16:10 or even 4:3 display format.

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=3Dnews_item&px=3DOTUyOQ

=2D-=20