[ltp] T60 white screen (internal LCD)

Bill Andrus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:18:39 -0400

--0__=0ABBF228DFD40CDD8f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBF228DFD40CDD

LCD panels eventually die.  So often, in fact, they are a very high vol=
ume
after market item.  IBM Field Engineers usually run a MAP, a procedure =
for
troubleshooting in tree format that nails down 99.9% accurately the fai=
ling
replaceable unit cause of the problem..In this case, in order of
probability its the LCD, the cable, the system board.  Without actual
external trauma, not likely to be the system board (external video is
working 5x5) and because the backlight varies as expected, unlikely to =
be
the cable suddenly failing.  As you note, its unlikely to be the invert=
er,
that's a power source.

Take your type and model number with serial number, run the Lenovo Supp=
ort
links checking warranty and you will get to a page that has a link to y=
our
build list.  Your LCD assembly number will be on the build list.  This
knowledge will help you insure that a repair job puts the correct LCD b=
ack
in your T60, since most T6x models can take three or four LCD models wi=
th
the same inverter and cable in place, the only criteria is the physical=

size of your display.  I maintain my own family Thinkpads, and when a
screen failure like this happens, I hunt down a complete replacement
display assembly on eBay that matches my original assembly number, has =
flawless cover and screen, has the WiFi and Bluetooth and display cable=

already in place, and spend ~20-30 minutes doing the fix myself.

Bill Andrus

PCMCIA =3D People Cannot Memorize Complicated Industry Acronyms=

--0__=0ABBF228DFD40CDD8f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBF228DFD40CDD

often, in fact, they are a very high volume after market item.  IBM Fie=
ld Engineers usually run a MAP, a procedure for troubleshooting in tree=
 format that nails down 99.9% accurately the failing replaceable unit c=
ause of the problem..In this case, in order of probability its the LCD,=
 the cable, the system board.  Without actual external trauma, not like=
ly to be the system board (external video is working 5x5) and because t=
he backlight varies as expected, unlikely to be the cable suddenly fail=
ing.  As you note, its unlikely to be the inverter, that's a power sour=
ce.  </font><br>
th serial number, run the Lenovo Support links checking warranty and yo=
u will get to a page that has a link to your build list.  Your LCD asse=
mbly number will be on the build list.  This knowledge will help you in=
sure that a repair job puts the correct LCD back in your T60, since mos=
t T6x models can take three or four LCD models with the same inverter a=
nd cable in place, the only criteria is the physical size of your displ=
ay.  I maintain my own family Thinkpads, and when a screen failure like=
 this happens, I hunt down a complete replacement display assembly on e=
Bay that matches my original assembly number, has a flawless cover and =
screen, has the WiFi and Bluetooth and display cable already in place, =
and spend ~20-30 minutes doing the fix myself.   </font><br>
Bill Andrus</font><br>
morize Complicated Industry Acronyms</b></font><font size=3D"2" face=3D=

--0__=0ABBF228DFD40CDD8f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBF228DFD40CDD--