[ltp] Debian Testing locks up on T60

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:15:01 -0500

Has anyone else noticed this?  I am running Debian Testing (Wheezy) on
my T60.  I have noticed crashes that seem to be related to the Radeon
driver since kernel 2.6.38 and still in 2.6.39, but 2.6.32 works without
issue.

With Debian kernel 2.6.38 the video crashes have resulted in a kernel
panic output to the bare console with the PC speaker emitting a
continuous beep (that'll get your attention in the middle of the
night!).  I have had up times ranging from days to minutes. and seemed
to not matter if OpenGL was in use or not.

With Debian kernel 2.6.39 the lockups have not been so severe and have
mostly resulted in the screen and keyboard freezing but the mouse
pointer still active.  At other times it has just been a blank screen.
One time it did drop to a console screen with kernel panic data but no
speaker noise.  The crashes seem to occur when Xscreensaver is running
an OpenGL saver, but not every time.

I'm asking here before moving up to asking on the Debian and Radeon
lists.

- Nate >>