[ltp] Re: Buying a New Thinkpad

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 04 May 2011 10:27:45 -0300

>> One thing I forgot to mention; it's not clear to me that the t520
>> has space for an SSD drive.  I've seen forum postings, etc, mention
>> that it's possible to use the stock hard drive but add an SSD for a
>> swap drive, without having to jettison other hardware (e.g. we're not
>> talking about swapping the multiburner out for the SSD).  How do I
>> check on that?
> Putting swap on a SSD looks like a weird idea, you might kill it reallyt
> soon by constantly writing to it.

If the SSD or your RAM is large enough that's not a problem (in the
first case, because your constant writes will be spread over a large
area so the wear is slow; and in the second case because you won't be
swapping much anyway).
And of course the performance gain of having swap on an SSD can
be significant.

        Stefan "whose swap is on an SSD"