[ltp] Buying a New Thinkpad

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 May 2011 19:06:01 +0200

--00235447055870e75204a276459c

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2360/2
the Transcend ExpressCard SSD seems to be REALLY slow ..

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Robert Tomsick <robert@tomsick.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 09:29 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 May 2011 12:24:23 +0200
> > Adrian Bastholm <adrian@javaguru.org> dijo:
> >
> > >Since I've just bought the low-end T520 I thought I could add some
> > >value to the discussion.
> > >mSATA instead of WWAN:
> > >True, but there's no need to remove the WWAN card (and thus unscrew a
> > >lot of pieces) since there's an ExpressCard slot at the right hand
> > >corner, which takes SSD drives.
> >
> > Do I understand correctly that you can add an expresscard SSD drive and
> > use it as the boot drive, leaving the original spinning drive in place
> > to use for storage? This might be the best way to go. I could, for
> > example, put Fedora or Ubuntu, and ~/ home on the SSD drive, and mount
> > the spinner in a folder in ~/. The expresscard SSD drive wouldn't have
> > to be more than 32 GB or so.
>
> Yes, you can use an ExpressCard SSD.  You could also use an mSATA SSD,
> as these may be cheaper and/or faster.  Both will allow you to retain
> the original drive.
>
> > Another option is a Seagate Momentus which is a hybrid. Evidently it
> > contains internal software that uses the SSD portion for files that you
> > are using a lot, and the spinning portion for everything else,
> > allocating the usage dynamically. It's an intriguing concept, but with
> > the Momentus the SSD portion is only 4 GB.
> >
> > As a second question, is there data anywhere on real-world read/write
> > speeds of the various SSD drives currently available. Technical specs
> > are fine, but I'd also like to see customer reviews.
>
> Anandtech is my go-to source for SSD info.
>
> -Rob
>
> --

--=20
V=E4nliga h=E4lsningar / Kind regards,
Adrian Bastholm

I would change the world, but they won't give me the sourcecode

--00235447055870e75204a276459c

how/2360/2</a>=A0<div>the Transcend ExpressCard SSD seems to be REALLY slow=
t Tomsick <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:robert@tomsick.net">rober=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class=3D"im">On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 09:=
29 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:<br>
&gt; On Wed, 4 May 2011 12:24:23 +0200<br>
&gt; Adrian Bastholm &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:adrian@javaguru.org">adrian@java=
guru.org</a>&gt; dijo:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;Since I&#39;ve just bought the low-end T520 I thought I could add =
some<br>
&gt; &gt;value to the discussion.<br>
&gt; &gt;mSATA instead of WWAN:<br>
&gt; &gt;True, but there&#39;s no need to remove the WWAN card (and thus un=
screw a<br>
&gt; &gt;lot of pieces) since there&#39;s an ExpressCard slot at the right =
hand<br>
&gt; &gt;corner, which takes SSD drives.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Do I understand correctly that you can add an expresscard SSD drive an=
d<br>
&gt; use it as the boot drive, leaving the original spinning drive in place=
&gt; to use for storage? This might be the best way to go. I could, for<br>
&gt; example, put Fedora or Ubuntu, and ~/ home on the SSD drive, and mount=
&gt; the spinner in a folder in ~/. The expresscard SSD drive wouldn&#39;t =
have<br>
&gt; to be more than 32 GB or so.<br>
SD,<br>
as these may be cheaper and/or faster. =A0Both will allow you to retain<br>
the original drive.<br>
&gt; Another option is a Seagate Momentus which is a hybrid. Evidently it<b=
r>
&gt; contains internal software that uses the SSD portion for files that yo=
u<br>
&gt; are using a lot, and the spinning portion for everything else,<br>
&gt; allocating the usage dynamically. It&#39;s an intriguing concept, but =
with<br>
&gt; the Momentus the SSD portion is only 4 GB.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; As a second question, is there data anywhere on real-world read/write<=
br>
&gt; speeds of the various SSD drives currently available. Technical specs<=
br>
&gt; are fine, but I&#39;d also like to see customer reviews.<br>
-Rob<br>
--<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>