[ltp] Re: SSD for a X220?

Damon Lynch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 May 2011 14:57:08 -0500

--e0cb4e43cf356247d904a278a905

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>wrote:

> > My attempt to summarize: use TRIM when you're reformatting a drive,
> > otherwise it's an extra cost with no benefits for any realistic usage
> > pattern.
>
> Indeed, he advocates for doing trims in something like a weekly
> cron job.
> So the question now is: what tool can I use to weekly trim my
> ext3-on-LVM filesystems?

This is really interesting information, much of it new to me. Thanks for
sharing it. It just goes to show the importance of expert advice.

I have an even simpler question: what command should be called in a weekly
cron job on a regular EXT4 partition? Is it ok for the partition to be
mounted when the command is run?

Damon
--
http://www.damonlynch.net

--e0cb4e43cf356247d904a278a905

style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
formatting a drive,<br>
&gt; otherwise it&#39;s an extra cost with no benefits for any realistic us=
age<br>
&gt; pattern.<br>
cron job.<br>
So the question now is: what tool can I use to weekly trim my<br>
ext3-on-LVM filesystems?<br>
t new to me. Thanks for sharing it. It just goes to show the importance of =
expert advice.<br><br>I have an even simpler question: what command should =
be called in a weekly cron job on a regular EXT4 partition? Is it ok for th=
e partition to be mounted when the command is run?<br>
//www.damonlynch.net</a><br>

--e0cb4e43cf356247d904a278a905--