[ltp] Re: SSD for a X220?

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 04 May 2011 22:17:57 -0300

>> > My attempt to summarize: use TRIM when you're reformatting a drive,
>> > otherwise it's an extra cost with no benefits for any realistic usage
>> > pattern.
>> Indeed, he advocates for doing trims in something like a weekly
>> cron job.
>> So the question now is: what tool can I use to weekly trim my
>> ext3-on-LVM filesystems?
> Package fstrim in Debian, recently merged into util-linux-ng.

Thanks.  I had found wiper.sh in the past (which doesn't seem to
support LVM) but fstrim escaped me.  My quick test seems to indicate it
still doesn't work for ext3-over-lvm with kernel 2.6.36.3 (I get
Inappropriate ioctl for device).
A related issue is "lvm-trim" (to trim the part of the disk that's not
used by any logical volume).  As well as "swap-trim" to trim the unused
part of a swap file/partition.

        Stefan