[ltp] fan problems (x61s)

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 09 May 2011 10:00:16 -0500

On 05/09/2011 08:55 AM, Ismael Olea wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Ismael Olea <ismael@olea.org
> <mailto:ismael@olea.org>> wrote:
>     I though I could get the FRU number of the fan unit in the
>     maintenance manuals, but found there is not there.
>
>     Any suggestion to get the number other than open the computer?

The fan IS listed in the Hardware Maintenance Manual, I'm looking at the
relevant pages right now. Download the manual from
<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-62866.html>

> Ok, seems I finally got it. The code for the x61s' main fan is  42X3804,
> according to
> http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/IBM-Lenovo,Laptop,Part,42X3804.aspx

No, that is only one of six possible fan assemblies. Download the above
manual, then look through the parts list and find your Machine Type and
Model Number in the listing for the fan assemblies (No. 25 in the
exploded view). Then you will have the correct FRU number and can start
trying to find the part for sale somewhere.

wes