[ltp] X41 tablet setup/issues

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 09 May 2011 13:07:17 -0400

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 22:23 +0100, Simon Williams wrote:

> I've just bought an X41 tablet off ebay and I'm having some trouble
> getting the tablet part to work right. At the moment the stylus is only
> ever registering as clicking, never just moving the cursor, and it does
> this even when it's a WHOLE INCH away from the screen. It's also jumping
> around a lot, if I draw in gimp I get lines flicked in from the far
> corners of the screen.

I can't say if there are any distribution-specific X41 problems, but I
can say that the X41 stylus should work out-of-the-box with the last few
releases of Ubuntu (although the stylus buttons aren't mapped to my
taste by default).  I have an X41 with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - no stylus
issues.

> Anyone with a tablet of any description, is this expected behaviour? Am
> I just missing some settings or is there an issue with the hardware? I
> had the distance problem in the WinXP tablet install which it came with.

You may either have a bad stylus or (hopefully not) bad hardware in the
tablet itself?

> Also, the stylus that came with it doesn't have an eraser. I've tried my
> sisters Wacom Bamboo pen with it, but that doesn't register. Has anyone
> found any replacement stylii with erasers that work with the X41? Even
> better if it will fit in the stylus slot.

Any "penabled" Wacom stylus should work with the X41, although the only
one I have found that will actually fit in the slot is the eraserless
OEM stylus from Lenovo.

The X60/x61 stylus (with eraser) works fine with an X41.  Toshiba makes
a more durable (and less expensive) stylus - the stylus from my Toshiba
M200 (also with eraser) also works well with the X41.

-CT

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>