[ltp] T60p hardware hacking (screen upgrade success; CPU query)

Mon, 09 May 2011 19:55:17 +0100

Dear All,

My T60p's excellent 1600x1200 15" LCD has finally died (the backlight
goes out after a few minutes), so I took the opportunity to upgrade it
to QXGA, as per [1]. I can report success with the IAQX10N panel - the
panel worked immediately within Ubuntu, though I had to reflash the EDID
(with i2cset) before the BIOS could display to it. It was remarkably
easy to do! I've updated thinkwiki with this info.

Given that the machine now has a new display, and already has an SSD,
I'm wondering whether to upgrade the CPU from Core Duo (T2600) to Core 2
Duo (T7600). Has anyone any experience with this? Google suggests it
will work, but warns about increased max temperature. Will it just be
hotter when running flat out, or will it also be hotter (and consume
more power) when idle?

Also, does this make the machine fully 64-bit capable? i.e.
   - can I run a 64-bit OS, or does the chipset still constrain it?
   - will it see all 4GB of RAM, rather than the current 3023 MB?
   - can I usefully fit 8GB of RAM?

Lastly, the CPU idles at 45 degrees, but the GPU idles at 77! (I've just
replaced the fansink). I'm rather suspicious of this - does anyone have
any suggestions?  (yes, I did remove the plastic covers from the thermal
pads). The thinkpads forum[2] suggests modifying the fansink to properly
contact the GPU, rather than these thermal pads.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

[1] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_a_QXGA_display_in_a_R/T60_or_61

[2] http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=372176

P.S. Does anyone have a recommendation for what to do with the old panel?