[ltp] ThinkPad T520: uefi/gpt debian install

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 May 2011 18:31:27 +0200

--nextPart118674752.fOaYgXFP5F

Hello!

I am about to receive a ThinkPad T520 with Intel SSD 320 real soon=20
hopefully.

I wondered whether it might make sense to install with UEFI and GPT.=20
Informations from Arch Wiki hint at that for better alignment and less=20
space waste for SSD:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSD#Using_GPT_-_RECOMMENDED_METHOD

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

Did anyone here try this? Did it work? Were there problems?

As far as I understand, I would have to tell Debian installer to select=20
UEFI/GPT somehow and then add an about 1 MiB sized 0xEF02 Bios Boot=20
Partition as GPT doesn't guerantee free space aber (legagy) MBR.

I intend to use BTRFS. I hope that it will align automatically, but I am=20
not sure about this. I will use debian unstable, possible even some parts=20
from experimental with kernel 2.6.38 or better 2.6.39 for best Sandybridge=
=20
graphics support.

If interested I report back what I find when I do the Linux installation.=20
;)

Thanks,
=2D-=20