[ltp] Buying a New Thinkpad

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 May 2011 13:14:51 -0500

On 05/13/2011 12:32 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2011 schrieb Steven J. Owens:
>>       The only 17" screens are on the monster "portable workstation" W
>> series.  Besides those, the next biggest screens are the 15.6" 16x9
>> screens on the t520s.  These seem to be only available in 1920x1080,
>> not 1920x1200 for some reason.  They also seem to be only available in
>> LED.
> T520 are for sure available in Full HD, but in 15.4 inch - we ordered one.
> But only LED. What is the disadvantage with LED?
In my experience (a T400), the LED backlight is much brighter, and can
be dimmed more. In theory, the LEDs should last much longer than a CCFL
backlight too.

The disadvantage is that they may consume a bit more power for the same
brightness (but that is being worked on), and they certainly cost more.

Chris