[ltp] Buying a New Thinkpad

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 May 2011 22:13:04 +0200

--nextPart1692836.CVybUWsbCk

Am Freitag, 13. Mai 2011 schrieb Robert Tomsick:
> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 19:41 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
[...]
> > >=20
> > > It may or may not be a weird idea depending on the SSD.  The Intel
> > > MLC drives are rated for something like 10-20 GB of writes per day
> > > for 5 years straight, and SLC drives seem to be at least an order
> > > of magnitude above that.
> >=20
> > Hmmm, but who wants to use swap for anything else than hibernation,
> > considering that its possible to equip a T520 with 8 GiB of RAM for a
> > IMHO quite low fraction of the price of the complete laptop?
>=20
> Because every once in a while you need to do something that uses a
> whole ton of memory?  Or at least I do.  I've run into swap on my
> workstation before, and that has 12 GB of RAM.  It's not *that* hard
> to do if you're running a big IDE plus a couple VMs for testing.=20
> IMHO, hitting swap is preferable to OOM kills.

Sure.

> > I think I will also use noatime and put /tmp, maybe some others, into
> > a tmpfs.
>=20
> Why not use relatime instead?  That way you still get most the
> performance benefits without the potential breakage that noatime
> introduces.

Ted has shown that relatime doesn't reduce writes nearly as much as=20
noatime at least for some kernel source make clean.=20

SSD=E2=80=99s, Journaling, and noatime/relatime =20
http://tytso.livejournal.com/61830.html

> To be clear: I'm not saying that you definitely should put swap on an
> SSD.  I'm just of a mind that it's not really a big deal if you do.

I will put swap there anyway, as it will be the only drive in the ThinkPad=
=20
T520. I have no problem with it, cause usually it will be used for=20
hibernation and almost unthinkable cases for me where 8 GiB of RAM will=20
not be enough.

Ciao,
=2D-=20