[ltp] [T410s] Fan running constantly

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 May 2011 10:04:34 +0200

--001636284dead9d2e504a3885679

Actually Windowze users do complain about the fan noise, my friend included=
.
/adrian

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Daniel N=E4slund <dannas@dannas.name> wrot=
e:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T410s. When the temperature, as reported by
> /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal, reaches a little over 40 degrees, the fan
> starts running and never stops. The temperature typically stays around
> 40-45 degrees even when the laptop is idle.
>
> I have tried changing the settings in BIOS from 'Performance' to
> 'Balanced' for Config->AC power mode but no change in fan speed. I'm
> running the latest BIOS version as of today, 1.41.
>
> I booted with acpi=3Doff as suggested by [1]. The fan still spins at
> high speed and doesn't stop despite the computer beeing idle for ten
> minutes. Should I then assume that the T410s has a fan that is not
> controlled by acpi? (In that case, I'm a little surprised that all the
> /proc files associated with fan control shows up in the filesystem).
>
> When googling, I find several forum posts describing the T410s fan as
> noisy when running Linux but it appears as  a non-issue for Windows
> users. Has anyone found a workaround? I've found [2] but I'm resistant
> to alter the behaviour of the fan without some feedback from other
> users.

Actually some Windows users do complain about the fan, my friend included,
and I've

--001636284dead9d2e504a3885679

Actually Windowze users do complain about the fan noise, my friend included=
t 7:57 AM, Daniel N=E4slund <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dannas@=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Hi,<br>
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T410s. When the temperature, as reported by<br>
/proc/acpi/ibm/thermal, reaches a little over 40 degrees, the fan<br>
starts running and never stops. The temperature typically stays around<br>
40-45 degrees even when the laptop is idle.<br>
I have tried changing the settings in BIOS from &#39;Performance&#39; to<br=

&#39;Balanced&#39; for Config-&gt;AC power mode but no change in fan speed.=
 I&#39;m<br>
running the latest BIOS version as of today, 1.41.<br>
I booted with acpi=3Doff as suggested by [1]. The fan still spins at<br>
high speed and doesn&#39;t stop despite the computer beeing idle for ten<br=

minutes. Should I then assume that the T410s has a fan that is not<br>
controlled by acpi? (In that case, I&#39;m a little surprised that all the<=
br>
/proc files associated with fan control shows up in the filesystem).<br>
When googling, I find several forum posts describing the T410s fan as<br>
noisy when running Linux but it appears as =A0a non-issue for Windows<br>
users. Has anyone found a workaround? I&#39;ve found [2] but I&#39;m resist=
ant<br>
to alter the behaviour of the fan without some feedback from other<br>
t the fan, my friend included, and I&#39;ve=A0</div></div>

--001636284dead9d2e504a3885679--