[ltp] Re: [T410s] Fan running constantly

Daniel Näslund linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 May 2011 12:26:19 +0200

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Claudius Hubig <nfs_2011@chubig.net> wrote:
> Daniel Näslund <dannas@dannas.name> wrote:
>
> I am using a T410s with Debian Wheezy/Sid on self-compiled kernel
> 2.6.38 and a nice little daemon called ‘thinkfan’.
>
> It basically sets the appropriate level in /proc/acpi/ibm/fan.

> So far, everything seems to be fine and has been fine for the last
> few months. Temperature is usually between 35-45°C when idling and
> between 50°C and 60°C when doing some serious work. While compiling a
> kernel (or simply running burnP5 four times), it may reach up to
> 80°C, albeit without any obvious problems such as instability.
>
> I’ll happily provide you with further information such as my kernel
> configuration (nothing special) or my cpufreqd configuration.

Thanks Claudius, nice to hear that there are ways to make the fan less
aggressive. thinkfan or as mentioned elsethread tpfand appears to both
be tools that works. If I don't find any other viable solution (and
I'm beginning to run out of options) I'll probably install either
thinkfan or tpfand.

Daniel