[ltp] Re: double checking Debian's 686-pae vs. -486 probe

Tue, 24 May 2011 17:32:08 +0800

JM> How about trying a =E2=80=9Cgrep pae /proc/cpuinfo=E2=80=9D instead o=
f looking for
JM> approximate CPU descriptions?
And indeed lshw says
          product: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.40GHz
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 s=
ep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe up bts

I.e., no pae.

So I would add "often" in the Description:

 This kernel requires PAE (Physical Address Extension). This feature is *=
*often**
 supported by the Intel Pentium Pro/II/III/4/4M/D, Xeon, Celeron, Core an=
 Atom; AMD Geode NX, Athlon (K7), Duron, Opteron, Sempron, Turion or
 Phenom; Transmeta Efficeon; and VIA C7.

or "may be" or "often available" or something like that.
Also the -486 Description should mention the name of the -686-pae package=
.

Say, for the sake of sharing a single .deb offline, what bad thing might
happen if I run the -486 kernel on my other machines where I could run
the -pae kernel? Namely other single Celerons having the pae capability.